How do you type an em dash?
On a regular-size keyboard with a number keypad, I can use keyboard shortcuts to create em dashes and en dashes:
- Em dash (—): Alt+0151.
- En dash (–): Alt+0150.
How do you make an em dash and en dash in Word?
2. Inserting an em or en dash using Ctrl and keyboard shortcuts. To insert an em dash, click where you want to insert the em dash and then press Ctrl + Alt + – (minus sign on the numeric keypad). To insert an en dash, click where you want to insert the en dash and then press Ctrl + – (minus sign on the numeric keypad).
How do you type a long em dash?
How to type an em dash on Windows
- Hold the Alt key.
- Now type “0151” on the num pad.
- A clunkier method, but one that works with any keyboard, is to use the Windows 10 emoji keyboard.
- Click the right-most tab with the omega (Ω) symbol on it.
- Scroll down until you find the em dash symbol (—).
How do I insert an em dash in Word without a numpad?
On a keyboard with no numeric keypad, use a Fn (Function) key combination to type the numbers. (The Fn key is usually to the right of the left-hand Ctrl key on the keyboard.) For example, on a US keyboard layout, the combination for an en dash should be Alt+Fn+mjim and for an em dash it should be Alt+Fn+mjij.
What is an em dash symbol?
A dash is longer than a hyphen and is commonly used to indicate a range or a pause. The most common types of dashes are the en dash (–) and the em dash (—).
What is the difference between an em dash and an en dash?
The shorter en dash (–) is used to mark ranges and with the meaning “to” in phrases like “Dover–Calais crossing.” The longer em dash (—) is used to separate extra information or mark a break in a sentence.
How do you use an em dash in the middle of a sentence?
The em dash can be used in place of a colon when you want to emphasize the conclusion of your sentence. The dash is less formal than the colon. After months of deliberation, the jurors reached a unanimous verdict—guilty. The white sand, the warm water, the sparkling sun—this is what brought them to Fiji.