What is a LUN snapshot?
Answer. Snapshot is a locally retained read-only point-in-time image of the data. When a snapshot of a LUN is taken, snapshot copies the pointers to the corresponding LUN blocks on the disk. There is no data copied or moved. When there is a change in the LUN data, it is written to new blocks on the disk.
What is LUN cloning?
A LUN clone is a point-in-time, writable copy of a LUN in a Snapshot copy. Changes made to the parent LUN after the clone is created are not reflected in the Snapshot copy. A LUN clone shares space with the LUN in the backing Snapshot copy.
How do I restore my LUN?
Access the snapshots of the LUNs from a configured host to recover the files they contain….
- Click Storage > LUNs.
- Select a LUN or LUN group, and click Details.
- Click the Snapshots tab.
- Select the snapshot from which you want to recover data, and click Attach.
- Click Yes to confirm or No to cancel.
What describes multiple LUN snapshots?
What describes multiple LUN snapshots? A. Captures multiple point-in-time data states. Snapshot data state is marked “unmodified” from its source when attached.
How do you clone a LUN in netapp?
- Create a LUN by entering the following command: lun create -s size -t lun type lun_path.
- Create a Snapshot copy of the volume containing the LUN to be cloned by entering the following command: snap create volume_name snapshot_name.
- Create the LUN clone by entering the following command:
What is LUN Synology?
Hyper Backup allows you to perform LUN (Logical Unit Number) backup to a local or remote Synology NAS.
What is the purpose of a LUN?
In computer storage, a logical unit number, or LUN, is a number used to identify a logical unit, which is a device addressed by the SCSI protocol or by Storage Area Network protocols that encapsulate SCSI, such as Fibre Channel or iSCSI.
How do you create a LUN in Synology?
Go to SAN Manager (DSM 7.0)/iSCSI Manager (DSM 6. x) > LUN and click Create….Click Next to continue.
- Name: Enter a name for the LUN.
- Location: Specify where the LUN will reside.
- Total Capacity: Enter the capacity of the LUN in Gigabytes.
- Space Allocation: Thick Provisioning provides better stability in LUN performance.
What is the difference between LUN and volume?
A LUN is a logical volume from the point of view of the storage. From the client point of view the LUN it is a disc volume that can be partitioned. Volume is a generic term. It means a contiguous storage area.
Is LUN a storage?
A logical unit number (LUN) is a unique identifier for designating an individual or collection of physical or virtual storage devices that execute input/output (I/O) commands with a host computer, as defined by the Small System Computer Interface (SCSI) standard.