What significant events happened in 1961?
- UN General Assembly condemns apartheid in South Africa.
- Berlin Wall is built, dividing East and West Germany.
- American-backed Cuban exiles fail in an attempt to invade Cuba at the Bay of Pigs.
- Dominican dictator Rafael Trujillo is assassinated.
- Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin completes the first orbit of Earth by a human.
What were 3 major events in the 1960s?
First Televised Presidential Debate Airs.
What big event happened in 1965?
The United States occupied the Dominican Republic, Malcolm X was assassinated, NASA’s Mariner 4 flew by Mars, race riots erupted in Watts, California, and Muhammad Ali defeated Sonny Liston. Let me take you 50 years into the past now, for a photographic look back at the year 1965.
What was happening in 1966?
The “Batman” television series starring Adam West debuts on ABC. The popular television show Star Trek debuts in September. NASA launches Lunar Orbiter 1, the first U.S. spacecraft to orbit the Moon. Soviet Union Lands Luna 9 on the Moon in February and the US follows on June 2nd with the Surveyor 1 soft moon landing.
What event occurred in 1962?
What happened in 1962 Major News Stories include Telstar first live trans-Atlantic television signal, First Beatles single “Love Me Do” released, Oral Polio Vaccine used to combat Polio, Marilyn Monroe is found dead, Cuban Missile Crisis takes world to brink of war, John H.
What major event happened in 1968?
The assassination of Martin Luther King Jr., leader of the Civil Rights Movement, takes place in April of 1968 when he was killed by James Earl Ray. King’s assassination leads to violence and race riots in U.S. cities.
What events happened in 1967?
January 6 – Vietnam War: United States Marine Corps and Army of the Republic of Vietnam troops launch Operation Deckhouse Five in the Mekong Delta. January 8 – Vietnam War: Operation Cedar Falls starts. January 11 – Segregationist Lester Maddox is sworn in as Governor of Georgia.
What major events happened in 1965?
What things were invented in 1961?
- June – RPG-7 rocket-propelled grenade launcher introduced in the Soviet Union.
- James L.
- Philips publicly introduce the compact audio cassette tape system, developed by a team led by Lou Ottens.
- Butler matrix for beamforming first proposed.